Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 9 July 2011

An Evening with John Cooper Clarke

Right, I'm changing tack a bit here. As much as I love the Stranglers, and contrary to what many people think, I listen to other stuff too!

So, a few week ago it was Father's Day and my wife asked whether I would be interested in going to see John Cooper Clarke in Cambridge rather than receive socks/pants/shirt etc on the Sunday. I readily agreed, so on the Saturday night, Gunta, Rudi and myself found ourselves in the very intimate surroundings of The Junction 2 for an evening of poetry.

The entertainment kicked off with a 'set' from Essex poet Luke Wright before the entrance of JCC. I had seen John a few times in the past, including his support slot for the Stranglers at the Roundhouse in 2007. His performance this time around was much longer that I had seen before and the he performed a roughly 50:50 mix of his poety and stand up. A few of the 'hits' were there, but the majority of the material was new to be. An example clip of what JCC in 2011 is included below. The evening rounded off with 'Evidently Chickentown' which ably demonstrated to my 13 year old son that poetry doesn't have to be about love and daffodils! Those that know it will understand.

John Cooper Clarke in Cardiff 2011
Twat

2 comments:

  1. Love JCC, first saw him in the very early 1980's supporting The Damned...
    What's not to like about 'Kung Fu International' or 'T**t' I still laugh my self dizzy listening those...

    I still like to dedicate T**T to our politicians!

    ReplyDelete