Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 28 January 2012

Ruts DC - Hammersmith Odeon & John Peel Session



Just received this in a trade. A bit of background research into this brief gem would indicate that this has been available on other blogs for an age, but I had somehow missed it and that being the case so may you have. But this is too good to miss. Also considering that earlier links may now be redundant I think I have sufficient excuse to post it again.

From what I can gather, this very early Ruts DC set was recorded when they opened for The Skids at the Hammersmith Odeon on 21st October 1980. The quality is so good, I would say that it is a radio broadcast (perhaps part of a Skids 'In Concert' set?) and it unsurprisingly featues a majority of Ruts tracks, with the single 'Different View' being the only new song (this was only 3 months after Malcolm's death).

I'm sure you'll agree with me that this is top notch stuff. The question that I have is whether this is the full set or a radio edit?

In order to bulk this up to a respectable CD length, I have added the band's only Peel session from February of the following year.


https://rapidshare.com/files/3355709809/Ruts_DC.zip

Hammersmith Odeon 21st October 1980

01 Love In Vein
02 Different View
03 West One (Shine On Me)
04 Society
05 Babylon's Burning

John Peel Session 16th February 1981

06 Mirror Smashed
07 Parasites
08 Fools
09 Different View

Artwork will follow.

3 comments:

  1. auwsommm to see this at Stockton ...didnt now it!!! Great to see then toghter again!!! greetings from the netherlands ,Alie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. any chance to have a lossless of version of these???

    thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. any chance of a re-up/thanks

    ReplyDelete