Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 24 January 2016

Mainichi Hall Osaka 14th February 1979


This last punk roar from The Stranglers is met by that bizarre reception that stunned so many Western bands who traveled to Japan, polite ripples of applause. What a sharp contrast to the concert halls of Britain at that time, Victorian amusement centres reduced to battle grounds as the tribes of the late '70's fought for supremacy.

This is pretty much a dream set from a band who by the end of the year sounded considerably different, softer and more measured in their music.

FLAC: http://we.tl/otVUvEGO0O

Artwork: http://we.tl/Dw44ZL8Hq7

01. Hanging Around
02. Burning Up Time
03. Straighten Out
04. Dead Ringer
05. Bring On The Nubiles
06. Dagenham Dave
07. No More Heroes
08. Outside Tokyo
09. Curfew
10. Tank
11. Threatened
12. Nice 'N' Sleazy
13. Do You Wanna?
14. Death And Night And Blood (Yukio)
15. London Lady
16. Down In The Sewer
17. 5 Minutes
18. Dead Loss Angeles
19. Toiler On The Sea

Flyer for the Osaka gig

3 comments:

  1. I love looking back on the early days of the band so much I didn't know and find it so interesting I never knew how big the band really were till recently and I'm loving it I'm a much bigger fan now than I was in them days for sure 👌👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Ade, much better quality than the version I had! Ta. DP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top share, many thanks.
    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete