Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Wednesday 21 June 2017

20 From '84 (8) Dead Kennedys Pine Street Theatre Portland Oregon 16th October 16 1984


One now from the most important punk bands of all, the formidable Dead Kennedys. Here's a great sounding set from the band that features much material from their controversial, and ultimately career ending, album 'Frankenchrist'.

The trouble started in the States. Alternative Tentacles included with initial copies of the album a poster bearing the album's name against a backdrop of a piece of artwork by renowned artist H.R. Geiger. It is a piece that was always likely to court controversy, both in the US and indeed wherever the album was sold.


Many people literally saw their arse and this landed the DKs in the dock . I have some reports from the times of the trial that I will post at the weekend.

As an aside, when the album came out I was participating in a 24 hour darts marathon with mates, raising some money for charity. I asked my parents to go into town and by me the album. Luckily for me the distributors of the album in the UK made the decision to remove the poster from the sleeve prior to sale. Those wanting the complete package had to write to the label 'Alternative Tentacles' to claim their poster. This I duly did..... is it worth much!?

FLAC: https://we.tl/bvXqbvFWsn

01. Intro
02. Soup Is Good Food
03. Hellnation
04. This Could Be Anywhere (This Could Be Everywhere)
05. Chat
06. When You Get Drafted
07. Terminal Preppie
08. MTV Get Off The Air
09. A Child And His Lawnmower
10. Chat
11. Jock-O-Rama
12. Moral Majority
13. Chat
14. Kill The Poor
15. Chat
16. Macho Insecurity
17. Chat
18. Police Truck
19. Chat
20. Goons Of Hazard
21. Chat W\ Truckin’ Tease
22. Government Flu
23. Bleed For Me
24. Chat
25. Short Songs
26. Nazi Punks Fuck Off

Darts marathon, many moons (over Marin) ago.... the shorts indicate the age! (I'm on the right in the 'The Day The Country Died' shirt.... minus sleeves of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment